Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Follow up with my ENT....

Hi all! I had my trach changed on Monday, it went fine. There is slight granulation tissue which explains why it irritates me so much and why it is bleeding off and on. He said it wasn't enough to cauterize it though....I guess I will have to put up with it until more tissue forms. My sinuses are infected as well, that was no surprise to me. My eyes are so puffy from my tender sinuses, I look like I walked into a field of golden rod! My lungs are obviously being affected as well so it was decided to put me on antibiotics before everything went nuts. My ENT is funny about prescribing me any meds, he will ask which ones I would like and what dose. Of course he okays this with my doctor to make sure she is on the same page as he is.

I am on Minocycline for now which seems to work against my bugs for now, nothing else seems to work or I am allergic to it. If I don't get any better, then I will have to get cultures of both my lungs and sinuses to make sure that I am on the right med. I hope so, I don't feel like going through IV's right now but that is the only option left for me if the Minocycline fails. Which means a stupid hospital and precious weeks away from my family. Sucks. My last hospitalization was back in June, I usually go in every 4 or so months like clockwork. Last time I know I waited too long, I won't make the same mistake again. I was actually a bit septic when I was admitted, thankfully the docs were able to nail it before I really bottomed out but it is still scary all the same. Being a former nurse doesn't help when the monitors are screaming and you know why. It is times like those when I think ignorance is truly bliss. This time around, I hope to nip this in the bud and relent to being admitted if I have to.

Today, I feel like my chest has been punched several times over, but I will say that my sinuses are feeling a little bit better than yesterday. They aren't quite as painful, I just wish that I could take some kind of hose and suck the crap out of them. I have been resting for the most part, I did do some painting. It was too nice outside to not take advantage of setting up my paints and dabbling away with them. I will have to post some photos of the last two that I have painted. I think I am getting the hang of it and finding my groove so to speak.

This weekend, I plan on going apple picking (well, watching my kids get the apples) if my health permits...there is nothing better than sinking my teeth into a fresh apple. I love the way it crunches with each bite. I will be making some chocolate caramel dipped apples with some of them, I can't wait! My kids are looking forward to my mom's famous apple crisp...it is so simple but is the best tasting apple dessert that I have tasted. She makes it just right and when that sucker is in the oven cooking, the aromas makes the entire family nuts! To top it off, we usually put a blob of vanilla icecream over it while it is still warm. Mmmmmm....now I am hungry!!

Monday, I have a date with the EMG lab in Boston. My rheumy cancelled out on me (he is going out for surgery), so I just have that to contend with. Fine by me, it would have meant a very long day if I had both appointments. I go back on the 15th of October to see the rheumy...I am just curious as to how it will turn out. They better not hurt me too much and stab me in every muscle on my body. It is a mean test but I understand the necessity of it. It is mostly to track which muscles are affected and how. Maybe I will get a tentative diagnosis that day....that would be great.

Well, that's all for now....until later, peace and hugs...Jenn :)

No comments: