Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Murphy's Law and moan-a-thon

Yep...that's right. Yesterday and today was one of those days where anything that could possibly go wrong did. It all actually started yesterday. We were planning on using my van to go to the mall as it was the largest of the vehicles that could easily accommodate the many anticipated packages and the 6 people that were going along. It all sounded great, no one would get cramped and I would be able to take my electric wheel chair along to make it easier for me to maneuver the lengthy mall corridors, even independently if I so desired.

Plans quickly changed once my mother put the key into the ignition...not a single peep from the engine, nothing but silence. She removed the key, tried again, praying that it was some kind of fluke but alas, it was true. The van was officially out of commission. This puzzled me and my mom as this had happened just days before due to inadvertently switching on the hazard lights and leaving them on all night long only to be discovered in the morning as my mom took the dog out for her morning potty break. That action left the battery dead and was revived by my trusty uncle who is a mechanic.

To make that saga short, we ended up taking my father's car...it is fairly roomy but not quite enough so for six people, my vent and ensuing purchases. By the time we finished packing the car after our marathon shopping getting the kids clothes, shoes and all the necessities of going back to school, the car was nearly busting at its seams! The way were were jammed in there reminded me of the clown cars where a seemingly endless train of bodies pile into an unbelievably teeny car with legs and arms everywhere. It was very uncomfortable to say the least, I felt claustrophobic even with a vent breathing for me...I could not wait until I got out of there! After nearly a hour, we finally made it home...I nearly jumped out of the car once that door opened. As cramped as I felt, I felt even more sorry for those who were crammed into the back seat and was thankful that I was not them!

That wasn't too bad of a tragic event and easily remedied by a quick jump start by my father today. What was not cool was that the water heater decided to quit on us as well. That's right. Two days before school starts and the freaking thing isn't working...at all. The heating elements are shot, I knew it was a matter of time before this happened but I thought that we would have a little more time before I had to have them replaced but noooo....yesterday was the day it croaks on us. I had to heat up my water to wash my hair and the rest of me, nothing too horrible, but you would have thought that this was the ultimate disaster in the eyes of my two teens. No shower? It may as well be the end of the world according to them! My mother and son went to my brothers for their showers tonight, my daughter, who insisted that she needed an A.M. shower, is staying overnight at her friend's house so that this can be accomplished.

Both my mother and I left messages with the local plumbers but so far, no return calls which sucks sideways. Now it won't be fixed until at least Thursday if we are lucky. My mom also discovered another flaw within the water heater, the pipe leading out of the device is loose and spewed water all over the basement. This explained why there was so much water in our basement when there has been absolutely no rain in the last week. To temporarily fix this, mom shut off the main hot water....So, not only do the elements need replacing, the damned pipe needs to be replaced as well!

As if all of this weren't enough, my mother's van (not mine) decided to give us some attention as well. As my mom and son were returning from my brother's house after their showers, it was noted that there was an abnormal amount of steam coming out from underneath the hood. The damned thing was already giving us grief by its incescant bucking whenever it was moving even at a turtle's pace but now we have another piece of busted something or other going on with it! I swear, everytime I turn around, that piece of crap needs to go into the garage for some sort of work. This past spring cost me a fortune in repairs! I just hope to God that this isn't going to break the bank, I have such little money to play with because I am on a fixed income due to my SSDI. I hate that I am literally a small disaster away from not being able to pay all of my bills. Quite frankly, I am nervous about the upcoming winter with heating costs and anything else that usually comes and bites me in the ass.

There is also a possibility that there is a small leak in our water main leading to our house as a small swamp has decided to form in the oddest of places. My son nearly lost his shoe in the muck when he mowed over it a few days back. It doesn't smell like sewer, it isn't even close to the site of our sewer so it is highly doubtful that that is the culprit (thank God!). So what is causing this mini-marsh? If it is the water main, our lawn will have to be dug up to be fixed...Nice huh?

My poor son also found out that he has to have two teeth pulled so that his braces can finish their job and correct his overbite. He isn't too happy with the ortho's decision, I don't blame him either. He has to go to an oral surgeon to get them removed....poor guy. He has to get this done before the middle of October before his next appointment. I know he will do well, but I hate that he has to get this done.

I hate to whine, but I am starting to feel overwhelmed by all of these mishaps and happenings. I will be glad when this month is over, I am going to be super busy myself going back and forth to Boston for my various appointments, I also have a few appointments near home so that isn't so bad. My kids are being ping ponged between their appointments as well.

Maybe I am a bit touchy because my lungs are more crappy than usual. I have been coughing quite a bit, my trach is so irritated as well. I hope my ENT does something about it, it is beginning to really drive me nuts. I can see the raw areas of my stoma, I slather tons of A and D on it to try and sooth it with some success, I have even resorted to squirting Lidocaine on the offending areas to numb it even if it is for a few minutes. I hope that my lungs respond to the TOBI, I am actually glad for once that this is the month for it. If not, I will most likely wind up on Minocycline (I am allergic to everything else it seems)....It has worked in the past for me, maybe it will this time it will as well. Toes and fingers crossed :)

Well my faithful readers, if you got through this incredibly long piss and moan session, I thank you for lending me your ears and shoulders as well as for having the patience to get through this novella! Until next time, hugs and peace...Jenn :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a well deserved piss and moan session. That's a LOT to have to worry about! I hope things get easier soon!

Anonymous said...

Pissin', bleepin', bloody rotten stuff to hear. I always wish that you have comfort above all else. The rawness at your trach site is so disconcerting. Has the lido worked at all? What can they do to shore it up?

Take care, old chum. As always, you're top Idol.