Honestly, the days are flying right by me...I know I have said this before, but they haven't slowed down despite my most adamant requests. In just a few short weeks, both of my kids will be back in school, grumbling about getting up at 6 am when they have been used to sleeping in until noon at times. This will be a huge adjustment, do doubt requiring me to get up and shove their sleeping bodies, often resulting in either sprinkles of water on their faces or me throwing a pair of socks or whatever piece of clothing is nearest at them, all in hopes in waking them and getting them on their way.
My son is the most stubborn in the morning, it often takes a few attempts to physically get him out of bed. This is an actual account of how a typical school day goes: (Any of you other moms identify with this? Please tell me I am not alone ;) )
The first time around, I usually shake him by the shoulders and tell him to get up, his head shoots up, he rubs his sleep filled eyes, even seemingly making eye contact with me and announces that yes, he is getting up. I leave the room and move on to my daughter's room. Most times, she gets up with the mere announcement of the time, but sometimes it takes gentle prodding to get her out from underneath her comforter and layers of blankets. She resembles a cocoon, tightly wrapped not wanting to emerge just yet. Soon after I turn to leave her room, I hear tell tale rustling and a thump, indicating that her feet are on the floor. Always a good sign. I go back to my son's room...I can actually hear him softly snoring again. GAhh....Okay, more drastic methods are now needed so that he does not miss the bus. I look around and spot books first and quickly decide that they would not be suitable in waking him without risking injury to him. I find some shirts and toss them at his head, he jerks his head up again and looks perplexed, eyes settled on me as if this were the first encounter with him. I have often heard of people being fully asleep all the while having conversations with their eyes wide open giving the illusion that they are awake when in reality they are counting sheep. I think that my son easily could join the ranks of these people....
By this time, my voice is slightly more raised than the original awakening. My son responds curtly, annoyed that I have disturbed him. Finally, I feel that I have succeeded in my mission as a mom, confident that he will remain awake. About ten minutes later, however, I note that it is just too quiet again and trudge up the stairs again to venture a peek into his room. As feared, the kid is asleep yet again! At this point, I am beyond annoyed myself and there are no more niceties now. It takes every bit of effort for me to not shout, but I do not. I refrain from doing so out of principle. I stomp up to the foot of his bed with a glass of ice cold water in my curled hands. For a moment, I hesitate...he looks so innocent, so handsome with his long lashes nearly touching his cheeks. His short dark brown hair is tousled in every direction, his locks lying on his pillow. His nappy jade green blanket is wrapped tightly around his shoulders covering all but his feet which are peeking out from the ends. The devil in me decides to go forward with my original plan and to wake him for good. I take the glass and dribble a tiny stream of the frigid water on his exposed feet. I am relieved to say that this method of waking him finally works as he bolted out of bed as if he were catapulted by some medieval contraption. He is now standing at the bedside, furiously toweling off his feet with a clean sock. He begins to incoherently mumble, I do not want to know what he is thinking at the moment. All I can say is finally...he is up, I can now crawl back into my bed for a few more hours of slumber, guilt free I may add. I paid my dues of servitude back in the days of school and now the baton is theirs.
See what I have to look forward too???
Until later, hugs and peace...Jenn :)
Rest in Peace Aunt Marybeth
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment